Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 is Over

With it being so close to a new year I feel obligated to express my feelings about my year. How incredible, terrifying, scarring, relieving, unforgettable, liberating. If there is any year that I could mark that I grew the most, I would pick this year. My year started off with an infection and hospitalization, great start right? Oh, and was in the hospital again for my birthday. I was offered to speak at a Family Educational Day for Cystic Fibrosis in January. I was breathing at 46% at that time. After speaking I was offered to become a motivational/educational speaker for Cystic Fibrosis. In February I was hospitalized again. March I crowned a new sister in the Miss America Organization. My time as Miss La Paz County 2012 was over and Amy Watts became Miss La Paz County 2013! I was hospitalized again in April. During this time I had to drop all of my classes in college. Feeling heavily discouraged after dropping all of my classes for the 3rd semester in a row, I signed up for 2 summer courses. I continued to compete in April, once for Miss Mohave County 2013 and Miss Southeast Arizona 2013. Both of which I did not win. In May I went to San Diego, California to speak at a convention for Cystic Fibrosis. Although not at my healthiest, I enjoyed celebrating my boyfriends birthday along with speaking to great people. Falling very ill, I landed in the hospital again over Memorial Day weekend. I then did not come home for 41 days. Through June and most of July I was admitted into Phoenix Children's Hospital. After many sleepless nights and painful days we learned I was heavily infected with a fungal infection. We used the strongest medicine to kill the fungus and we got no where. I returned home with no answers, now breathing at 32%. I flew to Chicago at the end of July to be in an educational video for Cystic Fibrosis. On my way home I was hospitalized again, but now in extreme distress and in the ICU. The month of August will have changed my life forever. I decided and agreed to go through with a double lung transplant. I was then breathing at 20% and getting worse every day. Half of August, September, October, and half of November my life was on pause, recovering from my life saving surgery. November was very honoring. I was to be a bridesmaid for one of my best friends, Kati. December was such a relief to just enjoy home and relax with family. Through my whirlwind of 2013 I managed to meet incredible people, have unforgettable experiences (good and bad), and gained a new life and new perspective. My goal for 2014? Win another title and go to Miss Arizona again, maybe complete a book, possibly finish my 501c3 non-profit organization paperwork, stay in school, get back into work, use my new lungs to my advantage and hit the gym. I wake up every day, just simply amazed that I am still here. My gratitude to so many people is overwhelming and too long to list names lol! Something I am still getting used to is thinking about tomorrow. I now have a tomorrow and have everything to look forward to in 2014. So with that being said; 2013, you've been great and horrible all at the same time. There are no new beginnings, only pushing forward. All things are possible!
XO- A

No comments:

Post a Comment