Friday, April 11, 2014

Insight to Pageantry

Ever since I started competing in pageants a couple years ago I realized how life altering the experience is every time. I am so proud of the woman I have become because of the Miss America Organization. I give all of my confidence, poise and gratitude that I have achieved to my pageant experiences. I would like to however clear some things up to the public about Miss America pageants and back stage. I am always asked about the other contestants and how I get along with them. If they are self-centered and catty. The answer to that is that I have more girlfriends now than I ever have before. For every 20 amazing, giving, talented, brilliant young women there is 1 sour apple. I never thought I would meet such incredible and truly happy young women in my life. I am grateful for each friendship I have created. Another misconception about pageant girls is that they are unintelligent. That is so far from the truth. I have met women well on their way to becoming doctors in all fields, scientists, lawyers, world leaders, and so much more. Miss America is the world's leading scholarship organization for young women...give us some credit! We are also not affiliated with Donald Trump, Miss USA or Miss Universe. USA and America are very different and we like to keep it that way. So a little about competition and back stage. Interview is probably the most terrifying and gratifying experience of all phases. A 10 minute heart attack. Personally, this is my favorite phase. I love on the spot questions. Swimsuit is next. We work hard for the bodies we have, so it is not difficult to get out there. Yes, we use what is called butt glue. It's glue to keep the contestants from getting wedgies. We also use this on our tops and occasionally on our gowns. Last minute toning goes into this phase: crunches, push ups, lifting, anything to pump up muscle. Talent counts as the most in competition. Each contestant takes this time to shine in their own way. This lasts for 90 seconds. Evening gown is always so calm to me. I feel like all of the contestants are relaxed at this point. Evening gown is supposed to be beautiful and graceful, poised and elegant. I take a lot of pride in my gowns. Final phase of competition is on-stage question. Each contestant is asked 2 questions. This can be so scary. Answering on the spot in front of a crowd that is sure to disagree and judge your answer. Then the beautiful crowning moment. The truth is that every contestant that is on that stage deserves that crown. But its not about the crown, its about the journey. Yes, we stress ourselves out to hair loss, we wear the world's most uncomfortable shoes, we wear earrings that are too heavy, we read up on current events until we get headaches, and we probably spend too much money. But in the end, we are so much more than that. We are dreamers, achievers, believers, supporters, advocates, volunteers, and world changers. We are the women of the Miss America Organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment