Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Beating The Odds

Today is my 21st birthday! Today I continue to beat the odds like I have my entire life. When I was diagnosed at 6 months old with Cystic Fibrosis my family was told that people with disease don't usually live past 5 years old. I happily enjoyed my Barbie themed fifth birthday. Later on we were told the average age of people living with CF was up to 12. I had my 12th birthday party at an aquatic center with dozens of friends. Years later we were told 18 years old. I celebrated my 18th birthday in my home with my most cherished family and friends. The average age is now early 40s. I beat the odds every year on January 14. I have beat Cystic Fibrosis for 21 years. Only one moment did I think CF beat me. I was scared and unsure of my future. This moment came to me the day before I received my double lung transplant. My doctor reassured me I was going to have a colorful productive future. I pushed through the last day with my old lungs and onto my new life with my new lungs. I beat the odds of a double lung transplant. I am also beating the odds of making almost half a year with out any sign of rejection in my new lungs! I celebrate my 21st birthday for those who couldn't beat the odds, those who never had the chance to be 21, and for those who didn't beat the odds of a double lung transplant. I am a rare case to have beat both with very minimal complications and recover with flying colors. My heart mind and soul are set on my future. I promise my future to those still fight the CF battle and those we have lost. I beat the odds not only on my birthdays but everyday. A great celebration is in store for my birthday! Lets make it unforgettable!!
XO-A

1 comment:

  1. You are a great inspiration Aly and i see many many great things coming from you. I am so blessed to have gotten to know you and i don't think you know the changes you have made in my life. Love you girl and happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete